Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Be Always Seeking

  Last night I had my grandmother over.  She's gone for eye surgery for her eyes and needed a place to stay for the night in town.  So we had her over.  It's a little different having her around, but hopefully now she sees why we don't always run to answer our phones.

  I also went out with a friend last night for a few drinks and then came home to tuck my daughter into bed.  All in all a quiet night.  So far, no bites on our house listing.  Jana will be doing another open house this weekend though.

  Here's hoping it rains.

Test All Things

1 Thess 5:19-23
19 Quench not the spirit.
20 Scorn not prophecies.
21 Yet be testing all, retaining the ideal.
22 From everything wicked to the perception, abstain.
23 Now may the God of peace Himself be hallowing you wholly; and may your unimpaired spirit and soul and body be kept blameless in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ!

  As you know, this past few years I've been rummaging through the attic of my religious beliefs and clearing it out.  All the religious traditions and preconceptions.  Even today, I've had some things I always believe put to the test and discarded.

  Yesterday, someone posted something in one of my Facebook forums and another fellow and I challenged him on it.  Not to be confrontational, but to clarify and establish himself in a scripturally proven sense.

  One thing he said to me at the end bothered me, it amounted to "Stop expecting Scripture to give you answers.  Let go of seeking and just believe and seek other souls to save from hell."

  To which I replied, "The day you stop seeking the truth, is the day you become an agent of Satan's lies."

  I wholeheartedly believe that.  The day we stop learning, and searching in God's word for wisdom and knowledge is the day we have decided that we know everything and are prepared to invent our theology on the spot to answer any holes in our understanding.

  It is not enough to concoct philosophy and ideals to understand life.  Nor is it enough to rest on one's doctrines and follow the path of tradition.  We must be actively seeking and yearning to learn the truths that God wishes to teach us while we draw breath on this planet.  One's life will one day end and then we sleep until the wonderful resurrection   For now, it's time to work and learn to prepare ourselves for the celestial calling we have in Christ.

  Never let your spirit be quenched.

Travis 

No comments:

Post a Comment