Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The Problem with Doctrinal Division in the Body

If Paul were here today I think he would be increasingly concerned about some of the dogmatism that is going on among believers.  As some of you may have noticed and commented, there are shots coming from all sides.  Not just from the "Big Three" (Clyde, Martin and Dan) but I see small skirmishes among other believers as well.  I've been thinking about this and I want to write this to remind all of us of the things Paul instructed us in these matters;

How we ought to conduct ourselves among each other;

Ephesians 4:3
1 I am entreating you, then, I, the prisoner in the Lord, to walk worthily of the calling with which you were called,
2 with all humility and meekness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,
3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the spirit with the tie of peace:
4 one body and one spirit, according as you were called also with one expectation of your calling;
5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 one God and Father of all, Who is over all and through all and in all.

What our attitude should be regarding one another;

Phillipians 2
1 If, then, there is any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any communion of spirit, if any compassion and pity,
2 fill my joy full, that you may be mutually disposed, having mutual love, joined in soul, being disposed to one thing --
3 nothing according with faction, nor yet according with vainglory -- but with humility, 
deeming one another superior to one's self,
4 not each noting that which is his own, but each that of others also.
5 For let this disposition be in you, which is in Christ Jesus also,
6 Who, being inherently in the form of God, deems it not pillaging to be equal with God,
7 nevertheless empties Himself, taking the form of a slave, coming to be in the likeness of humanity,
8 and, being found in fashion as a human, He humbles Himself, becoming obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.


How we are to treat each other when we disagree on doctrines that do NOT have any relation to the Evangel of the Salvation of All;

Phillipians 3
15 Whoever, then, are mature, may be disposed to this, and if in anything you are differently disposed, this also shall God reveal to you.

And finally the very same spirit of Paul should be the attitude of each one of us;

1 Cor 4
3 Now to me it is the least trifle that I may be being examined by you or by man's day. But neither am I examining myself.
4 For of nothing am I conscious as to myself, but not by this am I justified. Now He Who is examining me is the Lord.
5 So that, be not judging anything before the season, till the Lord should be coming, Who will also illuminate the hidden things of darkness and manifest the counsels of the hearts. And then applause will be coming to each one from God.


Let's put down our bibles and pens and learn to love one another FIRST rather than seek to prove each other wrong.  As Paul said;

1 Cor 13
2 And if I should have prophecy and should be perceiving all secrets and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so as to transport mountains, yet have no love, I am nothing.

Without love, brethren, we are NOTHING.  Don't forget - we will be spending the eons with one another as the Body of Christ.  Let love be the overarching concern of us all rather than doctrinal correctness.  If we lose love - we lose it all.

With all love and concern,

Travis Penner

No comments:

Post a Comment